Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Details, People - Details!

While I haven't been posting new work in my Etsy shop I'm still logging in and checking things out every day. I even snagged a treasury last night. Woohoo!

One thing I noticed yesterday, on the front page was a gorgeous pair of earrings that were priced so low as to make me wonder why. So I clicked and was taken to a shop with very pretty jewelry, all priced way too low. These particular earrings were on sale, taken from a too low price to begin with to a ridiculous slave labor price.

This makes a big difference in perception as I've written about before. If you don't value your work no one else will either.

But the price wasn't even what made me raise my eyebrows. Looking at the listing I noticed that the artist had not included very many details.

She listed the material type but there were no measurements listed. There was no reference picture to show how they would hang. I went to look at another piece and there was only one photo.

Her photos were good but only showing one photo is a big no no. People want to see and touch and feel and smell. Selling online is hard because people can only see. That requires a little extra work on our parts.

Photos need to be from all angles. Details need to be included in each listing that gives the potential customer a good idea of how something wears, tastes, smells, and looks.

I'm not perfect in this and can get lazy when listing something that I think is obvious but that is something that needs to be addressed. Not everyone knows sizes in mm or even inches. Some people cannot visualize a size and need to see size referenced in a photo with an item they are familiar with.

So as a reminder - don't assume that potential customers will automatically know something that you know. Include as many details as you can think of with each item you want to sell - and that includes as many photos as you think necessary (which is almost always more than one).

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Sandee said...

Have a terrific day and a very Happy New Year. Big hug. :)