Monday, October 18, 2010

Yes, I have a One Year Old

Hubby, Marshal, and I went to the grocery store yesterday late afternoon. I actually enjoy shopping with Marshal because he can generally be entertained by the surroundings. Hubby...not so much. Our bill is almost always $20 to $50 higher when he comes along. But even so, it is fun to do as a family once in awhile.

We were in the ethnic ailse and hubby picked up the potato pancake mix. It wasn't super expensive so I said okay (I've almost got him trained) and some random lady in the same ailse got all high and mighty and said to her (mom?) "They just got a potato pancake MIX" as if it's some sort of cooking sin to get a mix.

I wasn't in the best of moods anyway so it made me a little mad. I snapped back at her "Yes, a mix. We have a one year old and we don't get a lot of sleep" and walked away.

It didn't offend me necessarily but it was a little obnoxious. I rarely say out loud what I think of some people's grocery choices...generally only when I like something they've picked and we're making idle chit chat in the checkout line. I would not say something in a negative manner to someone standing right next to me about their grocery choices.

Why can't people keep their thoughts to themselves? She wasn't young so I'm sure she's a fabulous cook who thinks making potato pancakes is just a quick thing to whip up as a snack. Me? Not so much. I don't cook and if hubby wants to eat them he's going to have to make them himself.

Yes, I have a one year old and am constantly tired or busy. Not to mention that I don't enjoy cooking. It's not my idea of fun.

Eating on the other hand. Bring it on!

2 comments:

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

You are so funny. I have a 16 month old (how can that be?!) and I hate to cook too there are so many other/better things you could be doing than cooking.
I agee people should watch what they say especially to anyone with small children. Don't they know sleep deprivation is a form of torture?!
I had the shades up over the stroller/car seat thingie and a woman said to her husband "oh my god Bob she should give that baby some air."
Well I hadn't slept in 4 months (colic) and I screamed "I am sorry did I fu**** ask you for your opinion? No! If it was bad for the baby they wouldn't sell millions of this style of stroller would they?" and I walked away. She was like "Bob, Bob." and I just kept walking.
I feel for you and your box pancake mix, we like box brownie mix too ;=)
Shannon

CastoCreations said...

Oh Em GEEE!!!! That is hilarious Shannon. I would have probably done the exact same thing at that stage in Marshal's life. :) ROFL I was way more exhausted back then. =D