Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Not Always as They Appear

A few folks have given me wonderful compliments about my photos...which I appreciate a ton. I never quite believe them though... =) I'm very hard on myself and being a perfectionist means that I'm never quite happy with things.

I think my photos are a gazillion times better than they were when I first started making jewelry though. And I think I manage to get some decent shots. I've learned a lot. Like, you don't have to have a "pretty" set up to get good photographs. And using the macro setting is vital.
I use a photo tent that I bought at least three years ago now (time flies) for around $300 (could've been more...I have a horrible memory) and it has paid for itself several times over. They have kits that start at less than $200...and of course there are lots of people out there who spend just a few bucks and make their own. I tried that but never could get the right effect that I wanted.
So, this funky set up in my kitchen....


Can yield this more attractive photo (not a perfect photo, I grant you, but better than many photos I see out there and 1,000 times better than the pictures I used to try to take outside)...


Pictures are the only way you can sell online and a good photo can be the difference between a sale and nothing. I rarely buy anything online if the seller doesn't have good photos that are detailed and show every angle as if I were able to handle the item myself in person.

My photos certainly aren't perfect and I've had a couple of complaints about not being able to tell the size of the item, but I try hard to make sure the photos represent as much detail for each piece as possible.

No comments: