Wednesday, May 27, 2009

How Transparent Are You?

I really enjoy Twitter...it's turned me on to some interesting articles. One of which I discovered last night called "To Hell with Transparency" by The Fluent Self that I found fascinating.

The premise is that most 'professionals' (whoever they are) suggest opening up as a business person and sharing your personal story. It makes people feel like you are more human and approachable.

But not everyone is comfortable doing that. Some people are shy and quiet, or just very private about their lives.

I'm not one of those people. :) I'm sure anyone who has read this blog for any length of time knows that I'm pretty much an open book. In fact, I felt I was too open for my jewelry blog so I started a new blog where I could spew my personal life and opinions.

I think you can share TOO much, and I think I tend to do that sometimes. I'm just an open book and I don't keep a lot of secrets or private thoughts. Even my facial expressions betray my thoughts - my mom always said I could never play poker.

But I think it IS important to let people get to know you as a person, and not just as a business person. It can't be all about *insert your subject of expertise here* all the time. Although, the article does make an excellent point:

"Transparency, vulnerability and authenticity are only useful when they aren’t forced and when they come from the heart."


Don't try to force sincerity, because it never works. If you truly aren't comfortable sharing something then don't do it.

I just don't have that discomfort ... ever. =)

So what do you want to know? *grin*

No comments: