Monday, August 18, 2008

I Love My Country

I've been off duty for several days and it has been so wonderful! I go back to work tomorrow but today is all mine. No errands. Just hanging out at home.

Going through some of my daily (or not so daily lately) reading I came across a couple of really great stories.

It always warms my heart when I hear about new citizens - they are always so positive and excited and they truly appreciate the opportunities the United States provides.

Many of us take our own freedoms for granted. There are so many things we can do for which people in other countries would be beaten, jailed, or even murdered.

Olga Alveres says, "I'm free, I'm free. In the United States, everybody's free!"

And that is the truth. I hear all sorts of citizens born in these United States complaining about how unfair life is...but they've only known such great freedoms as the US provides. They are spoiled brats who have no concept of life in China, Iran, North Korea, et al. Their whining about so called "injustices" would lead to their incarceration, torture, and often death.

Life is never fair, no matter where you live. It is what you do with your life that matters. And everyone can succeed if they are determined and hard working enough. Of course, everyone has a different measure of success. :) I just want to be healthy, safe, and free! Free to speak my mind. Free to work or not. Free to make my own choices.

Optimism is contagious. And I believe that ultimately, the United States is an optimistic country.


Edited to Add - Kobe Bryant GETS it...and the question from NBC is why I don't watch the news. Moron. Not that I've ever cared much about being "cool" or "in style."

No comments: