Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why Buy Handmade?

I've posted before about why I think buying handmade is so important. I certainly haven't changed my mind and Lenox Knits recently wrote a great piece discussing why she supports handmade.

For me the most important reason to live a handmade lifestyle is to support other's passions. I know that my buyers could easily find a $10 scarf at Wal-mart but instead they have chosen a handmade creation from my heart and energy. By doing so they are supporting my efforts and helping me to support my hobby. I am happy to support other sellers whether they are a hobbyist or professional because I know that they are doing it because they love what they are doing.

Exactly.

There is a reason why I have not started making "cheap" jewelry. People who only want jewelry that is inexpensive are not going to appreciate the nature of handcrafted work. I could create $10 necklaces and try to hock them, but then I'd be competing with Target, KMart, and Walmart. And no matter how hard I tried, I'd never succeed.

I create and design pieces because I love it. An idea comes into my head and regardless of how much it might cost I have to create it. I can't help myself. Even when it is a design that goes completely against my own style...it must come out. =)

And when someone honors me by buying a piece that I've poured myself into, it does more than increase my bank account. It increases my confidence. It gives me the energy to continue to create. And, like Lenox Knits, it gives me additional income that I can use to support other hardworking artisans.

No comments: