Friday, February 27, 2009

A New Adventure

As you know, I'm on 1000 Markets with my jewelry. I really like it there and think it's going to be a hugely successful venue for handmade artisans to sell their work.

One of the things that is unique about 1000 Markets is their concept for browsing. You can browse by shop or you can browse by Marketplace.

Marketplace?

Yup..Marketplace. This concept took me a little while to get used to because it really is unique. It's different than simply grouping items by product type. Markets are created by shop owners based on ideas and themes.

There is a market called Ever After that has shop members who cater to that big wedding event. There are markets for different states and regions in the country like New Jersey and California. Temporary markets have been started for Valentine's Day, Christmas, and even one for Dia de los Muertos.

I was having a hard time finding a regional market that I could fit into. There was a Seattle market, but they only accepted shops within King County. There is a San Juan market and a Portland market, but neither fit me either.

So I proposed that we create a Pacific Northwest market. The response has been really great and I'm getting super excited about having an all inclusive market that has shops from Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.

I may end up being the manager...which is a seriously scary thought! But I won't be without help because I just can't do it by myself. If you have a shop at 1000 Markets and are in the three state Pacific Northwest area please stop by the forums and join the discussion.

No comments: