Monday, November 10, 2008

First Amendment Rights Anyone?

Wow. I'm not sure what is more disturbing. That the guy was arrested for wearing a "dissenting" t-shirt or the crowd's ecstatic reaction to his arrest and their eerie chanting and the looks on their faces.



Of course, we don't know what the guy did before but from the look of this video he was just there. Wearing a McCain/Palin shirt. NOTHING illegal about that. I thought dissent was the highest form of patriotism...unless it's against "the one."

I don't believe there was ANY reason to tell him to leave the area ... except that he is clearly insane and putting his life in danger. But the arrest was made because he refused an officer's orders and I have a hard time being angry at that particular point. But the fact that they did not defend his right to free speech and association scares me a bit.

I hope they just drove him back to his car. Hope. Change.

Edited to add...there is of course more to the story. The guy was apparently drunk and had a plastic sword. Stupid idiot. The part that scares me more is the chanting. *shudder*

3 comments:

Sandee said...

Yep, sounds right to me. Don't worry. Nothing is really going to change. It's all about getting elected. That's what it is always about. Have a great day. :)

pamibe said...

Aw, geez. He had to be drunk...!

Unknown said...

This is the stuff that my mother was worried about after the election.

Am I the only one who is reminded of a cult?