Monday, October 20, 2008

Welcome Fall

Yesterday was so cold in the morning that I was actually shivering. Of course, I was outside in the fog with Trooper for agility so we warmed up once we started moving. And he loves the cold.

I hope that we actually get some snow this year. The doggies deserve some snow. And hubby and MIL miss it greatly. If we don't get any at our level (just barely above sea level) then we may need to travel to the mountains to play.

Dog fights have been occurring in our household with sad frequency. Thursday hubby got bit trying to break up Timber and Trooper. Friday Trooper got sent home from daycare with a note because he got in a scuffle. I talked to the staff and apparently he'd been getting more and more assertive with other dogs since Timber came into our pack. :(

Then Sunday there was yet another brawl as daddy made breakfast. *sigh*

So we are on full alert at our house. So far no major injuries (not counting the pretty bad bite that hubby got) but these are both big dogs with a lot of muscle and energy. We don't want to take any chances.

Other than that, the weekend was pretty nice. Sunny after the fog burned off and crisply cold. I volunteered at the GOP headquarters to make phone calls on Saturday. I HATE making phone calls but it wasn't too horrible. It was a lot different than 4 years ago. Much more automated with these great phones that we used to record answers. Not like the paper and pencil I used last time.

If you ever get a call at home and someone wants to ask you just a couple of questions please say yes. =) I had three questions that literally took less than 30 seconds and was so thrilled when someone actually answered them. Even if they gave negative answers I was just glad to interact. Because it's pretty boring making phone calls ... 3/4 of the calls end up being answering machine messages which can get really dull.

Sunday started with Agility where Trooper did wonderfully. I'm afraid they're going to ask us to trial soon. *gulp* Then headed home where hubby finally got out of bed (lazy bum...hahahaha not really...he'd worked overtime late Saturday night) and we decided to run to Schucks to get oil and change my car's oil for the first time ever.

No, not that my car hasn't had an oil change. But I've always taken it to a place to have it done. We've never done it ourselves. And by "ourselves" I mean hubby did it. I pulled the "woman" card and stayed inside to bake a cake and make lunch. I have no interest in learning to change my own oil. If hubby's not around there are people out there who do it for a living.

But the good news is we saved quite a few dollars. Not a ton though because we bought some other things ... anti freeze, windshield wiper fluid, etc. I was nervous to have hubby do it because he's never changed my car's oil before and ... well ... I don't like change. But he did great and even reset my 'maintenance required' light. What a guy. Now if he'll keep doing it we'll be saving at least $25 a time.

And I really did bake a cake. An Extra Dark chocolate cake to which I added chocolate chips. *mouth watering* The frosting is triple chocolate chocolate chip. *drooling* It is SOOOO good. We had it for dessert last night.

It was a great weekend. =)

Oh and I made a bunch of jewelry and took photos last night. I was on a total pearl kick. I can't wait to get the photos edited...I am really sucking at taking photos. The pearls keep getting washed out. They're so much prettier in person.

Have a great Monday!!!

2 comments:

Sandee said...

Sorry about the brawls, but that cake sounds really, really good. Glad you had a great weekend. We did too. Big hug. :)

PlungerGirl said...

I don't know what size your pups are, but dog fights are a common occurrence in our house. I suppose it's to be expected with 7 dogs.

Anyway, we're quite experienced with breaking the big dog fights up and with getting bitten. I know it sounds nuts and cruel, but I suggest a cattle prod. Once they're shocked with it once (during a fight of course--not for fun) they "know" what it is and will do anything to avoid it. All we have to do is pick it up and all behavioral issues fly out the window.

It's essentially a shock collar on a stick, but much cheaper. I wasn't thrilled with the idea at first (they are my babies!), but when the fights started escalating and we were getting injuries trying to break them up, I gave in and I'm thrilled that I did. It ends the fight instantly, they aren't hurt, and the dominance issues are squashed.

Obviously this can't be used on little dogs though. LOL.