Monday, July 7, 2008

The Earth Has Finally Stopped Moving

When I went to sleep last night, in my bed at home, I felt like the earth was rocking back and forth...back and forth...back and forth.

I don't think we'll be going on any more fishing trips anytime soon. In fact hubby made me promise to never, ever buy him a boat (which is funny because even if he wanted one I'd never let him buy one).

You see, my husband gets very sea sick. So it was a surprise to me when he suggested we go on a Charter fishing trip with some of his Trooper buddies. But I was up for it. My dad was a Fisheries Biologist with Department of Fish & Wildlife and used to take me fishing in the ocean when I was just a little girl. My mom says that I used to come back talking about how much fun it was to hit the "rocks" when there were rough seas. Apparently I don't get sea sick (I don't get car sick or air sick either).

We left for Westport Saturday afternoon because neither of us wanted to wake up at 1 a.m. Sunday morning to get to the docks by 4 a.m. Though I must say that spending an extra $136 for this room was hard to justify.

High class, eh? :)

I did sleep pretty soundly though and even though it was a smoking room (it was the LAST room available) it didn't smell too bad. I was hesitant to sit on the couch or chairs though.

It was nice to get there ahead of time though because we scoped out the dock and found the boat we were going on the next day. The Playboy Too.



We went to dinner at a local pizza place that was excellent.

We set our cell phones to wake us up at 3 a.m. so we had enough time to really wake up. Hubby made coffee using the in room machine...I still can't believe he drank it. Then we walked down to the docks, got our license and derby ticket, and hopped on board.

The boat left around 4:30 a.m. and as we headed out to sea the sun started to come up.

It was BRIGHT orange and looked huge, although my photography skills aren't so good when on a boat. Ha!

Not too long into the actual adventure of fishing I caught the first fish of the day!!! Woohoo! Though some of the guys on the boat didn't think too much of a girl catching the first fish, they said it didn't really count since it was a flounder. Sheesh.

Hubby then caught the biggest fish of the day (on our boat). Watch the video if you don't mind seeing a fish get bonked on the head with a pipe. =)



I was so proud of him!!!

I finally caught some fish, but no salmon. I ended up with 11 Sea Bass - which are quite ugly. I was hoping to get a Lincod, but no such luck.


The only other girl on board was 11 years old - she was so cute. She didn't like fishing for salmon because it was a lot more boring...lots of waiting and waiting and waiting some more. She did get very excited when we were fishing and catching though.

The deck hand, Nick, was wonderful. Very friendly and helpful - he baited my hooks. =)

And filleted all our fish. I got fish guts on my shoes...I'm worried that Trooper will eat them now!

I'm so excited to get the salmon down to grandpa. He's agreed to smoke it and vacum pack it for us. YUMMY!!!!

So we are home and I am exhausted. I hadn't been fishing in such a long time...I'd forgotten how tiring it actually can be. Especially out on the ocean. It takes a lot of work to keep steady and work with the pole. My arms hurt from reeling in the bass.

I'm ready to go out again though...I may have to find a new fishing partner because hubby sure won't be going back. =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I am sorry to hear that the earth was moving for you even after you got off the boat.

I am not a big fan of fishing... actually, I think its the boat I am not a fan of. Either way, I applaud you for getting on one and making the best of it. It actually sounded like fun!

And oh, please make it so you can leave your name and URL in the comments since I don't use either of the formats you offer to leave comments. :) Plllllleeeeease.

Jennifer Casady said...

ooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooo there with you if you want to go again!!!!!!!! *cheesy grin* I loooove to go fishing!!

XOXOXO

Unknown said...

I'd love to experience fishing on a boat once in my life! I only go to the river to fish. It's fun.

I miss my neighbor who used to catch catfish (for the fun of it) & clean and fillet them for me because he didn't even eat fish, LOL. He died a few years ago. :-(

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a lot of fun you had and I'm SO stinking jealous. I'd go in a heartbeat with a guide like you did. We did this once in Florida and had a total BLAST!!! Thanks for the great post, Megan!

Ashley said...

I remember when I was around 13 my parents took me out on one of the Great Lakes to fish for lake trout (I think). I got a little sea sick and the captain told me he was just giving the fish a nap when he nailed them with the club... I believed it, lol. :)

CastoCreations said...

*giggle* Ashley...it gives whole new meaning to the term "sleeping with the fishes" hee hee hee