Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Harsh Reality

I just found out that one of my friends and coworkers has Cervical Cancer. :( Needless to say I'm very sad for her and her family.

I'm going to call her "E" to protect her privacy. E is such a strong person. A burglar decided to rob her home last year and that was a big mistake on his part. You see, E and her hubby walked in midway through the robbery. E's hubby collects swords and got the robber in the side with one of his smaller swords while E was wrestling the guy. While the guy got away he was eventually picked up and charged. No one should ever mess with E, especially when her doggies and kitties are being scared!

This is one of E's cats, Rizzo, who very nearly died last year. He's a character. And I'm sure he and the other cat and dogs are giving all their unconditional love and comfort. Thank God for pets!

So now I feel like I need to schedule a "female" exam...I've gone two years without one. *shudder* I hate them. But it's obviously stupid to go any longer without. I just need to be brave like E.

I miss her though...she used to be on the same floor in the same building and I passed her cube on my way to the bathroom every day (several times a day). But they moved her group to another building and I haven't seen her in ages. I will be praying for her and her hubby. I wish I could do more!

7 comments:

jennsquared said...

Oh the world is cruel. I will send E loads of good thoughts! and you hang in there as well!

MomOnTheEdge said...

I am always sorry to hear when someone gets sick. Please pass on our well wishes to her and her family.

Cherie said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. You are kind to pray for her - I'll say a prayer, too.

Roxy said...

I just happen to be on my Ob/Gyn rotation right now.

About 80% of the sexually active population has been infected with the HPV virus. The thing about cervical cancer is that it is caused by about 4-6 strains of the HPV virus. The other 100 strains are relatively harmless.

Women who are sexually active should receive a Pap smear yearly (every 3 years if BOTH partners are monogamous).

I'm sorry about your friend, but take her experience and use it as motivation to take care of yourself.

Breast exam 1 week after your menstrual period every month. Pap smears yearly. PROTECT YOURSELF!

Anonymous said...

It's always a reality check if one of the friends around us get sick, especially with the Big C.

Have your checkup soon!

Laura said...

Life isn't always fair or fun. Sounds like she is a great person, and I hope all works out.

Bunny B said...

Sorry to hear about E. Life really isn't fair. Thankfully E is a fighter!!