Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hot Hot Hot and More Hot

It is way too hot here today and looks like it will be as hot tomorrow. When we ran an errand in the truck and the thermostat said 93. Some of you may laugh and not think that is so hot, but for us in the Pacific Northwest it is hot as Hades.

And for my poor sweet puppies it is a miserable and coma inducing hot. :(

All in all though it's been a great day. We finally decided on the new couch we want and I am SO excited about it. The only problem is that it exceeds our current budgeted savings for it so we need to save a little more...well, about twice as much as we have now. Hubby was SO disappointed. He was hoping we'd order it today. I had to remind him that we aren't those people anymore.

You know? Those people who charge something so they can get instant gratification even if they don't have the cash to pay it off in full later. We don't do that anymore. We still use our credit cards but only if we already have the funds saved up.

It is going to feel SO good to pay cash up front for a gorgeous new couch (it's actually going to be a sectional and it's going to ROCK) and know that we worked really hard to save up for it. Hubby has been working a lot of overtime lately (has another 11 hour shift tomorrow) and every time he sits on the new couch he'll be proud of how hard he worked to buy it.

And to help save I'm clipping coupons! I have been clipping and couponing for about two months now and am really having way too much fun. Today I stopped by Walgreens real quick and bought $21.95 worth of items for $3.18 out of pocket ($1.14 of which was tax). :) I cannot explain the high I get from that kind of savings. It's totally addicting.

Of course my hubby thinks I'm completely bonkers. So does most of my family. Until they tell them how much I'm saving. And on things that we actually use or will use in the future. Yesterday I saved over $60 at Walgreens and more than $50 at Albertsons. Some items we don't need right now but when you find something on sale and you have a coupon it's better to buy it, as long as it won't go bad, and save it for later. Not only won't you have to pay full price later when you will need it, but you're hedging against inflation. Because we know that prices just keep going up.

So as hot as it is today it's still a great day. I've been feeling really good for the last couple of days. Tomorrow is agility with Trooper and my mom is going with me for the first time. I'm so excited! :)

Have a fabulous weekend!

3 comments:

Bunny B said...

Hope the weather gets bearable! Have a great weekend!

Bethany said...

I'm glad you're feeling so good! I like saving too, but I'm right there with your hubby about how sometimes instant gratification is so tempting! I hope you'll be able to get your couch soon, and that the hot weather will break so the poor doggies can be comfortable again!

CastoCreations said...

Thanks ladies. Yesterday was even more miserable. I actually took the laptop into the bedroom to enjoy the AC. The rest of the house was in the upper 80s. It was miserable! :(