Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Glad to Know My Breaks Work

Last night's drive home seemed normal and uneventful. Traffic was flowing well for once and I was headed toward my mom's work to pick up more coupons (I am now addicted to coupons). I had just hung up my cell phone after telling her I was only a few minutes away. Traffic had slowed down but was starting to pick up again. I was traveling 60 mph in a 60 mph zone on I-5.

An SUV behind me had been tail gating me severely - I could not even see their headlights. But I hadn't slowed down and was using my cruise control. I did not tap my breaks at all.

The driver swerved to the right, nearly rear ended a car in the right lane (I was in the middle lane) and jerked his SUV in front of me, nearly side swiping my front end. I honked...because...duh. He nearly caused a 3 car accident.

At which point the psycho SLAMMED on his breaks.

In the space of 2 seconds I reacted - slamming on my breaks, gripping the steering wheel, getting tunnel vision - all I saw was the rear end of his car, him wagging his finger at me, as I felt my wheels skid and squeal. I didn't swerve - I had no idea where the other cars were.

If there had been a car behind me they would have rear ended me and I firmly believe it was only a miracle of God's hand and quick instincts that saved my life. If I had hit this Psycho I think that I may not be here today. I was going 60 mph when he slammed his breaks and would have hit him full speed. And his car was bigger - a Toyota Highlander - gold in color with an Oregon license plate that had a 5, an X, and an H in it. That's all I remember.

I called 911 and by the time the operator was on I was sobbing. I couldn't think. I could hardly see the road for all the tears in my eyes. Breathing was difficult as I tried to explain what happened. The excellent man on the phone told me to take deep breaths and understandingly said he knew this kind of thing was scary. I seriously think that I was on the verge of losing it.

Somehow I pulled my act together, got all the details to the operator and prayed that the police would be able to catch him - though realistically I know the odds were slim. There are only a few Troopers for the entire county at any one time.

When I called hubby, still sobbing, I immediately said "I'm okay" because I knew a sobbing wife is not what a hubby wants to hear while traveling. I told him what happened and his first comment was that he was glad I was okay but I shouldn't have honked.

LOL That is such a Trooper-ish thing to say. A normal person A) wouldn't have tail gated me so closely and then passed me on the right (also illegal) and nearly take out two cars; and B) wouldn't have slammed on their breaks no matter what I did!

As if this moron will teach me a lesson by causing a horrible accident!!! Who does that?!?! If I had hit him he would have been at fault (I confirmed this with hubby) and I would have sued his ass. I'm not normally in favor of suing but if I knew who this Arse-Hole was I'd be tempted to sue him for emotional distress. :(

As I continued on to my mom's work I was crying so hard I could hardly see the road. I could not calm down - my breathing was labored and short and I felt like I'd been shaken up and beat up. Then I felt a sharp pain in my side and noticed that my back was starting to hurt.

And do you know how exhausting it is to sob...by the time I got home my head was pounding and I was exhausted. I'm still tired today because I couldn't get to sleep. *sigh*

What is wrong with people?!?!?! That guy was clearly unbalanced. This is just one more negative of working so far away from home - the commute nearly kills me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You handled it way better than I would have. I hate it when people act like children on the roads. That's one reason why I don't drive on the interstate. Some people on there drive too crazy for me. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Bethany said...

This is pretty much why I'm terrified of driving. Though to be absolutely honest, I'm more scared I'll do some stupid unthinking thing (like not check my blind spot, not try vehicular manslaughter like some pyschos) and really hurt of kill someone. But horrible people like this are a very close second.

I'm really glad you're okay and didn't get hurt. It sucks that you were scared so badly. That man must literally be some kind of crazy. I hope he doesn't end up killing someone. It sounds like you're doing much better than I would. I have a hard time driving to begin with, so this would have shaken me up so badly. Hope you can sleep better tonight!

Roxy said...

oh my gosh! I'm soooo glad you're alive and well! Sob away. What a douchebag.

I am scared to death of driving.