Thursday, June 19, 2008

Security Guard

Last night I had a class at the local bead store where I've been taking classes for ... oh gosh ... at least 3 years but probably longer.

I know they've had some issues in the past. A couple of robberies - armed. But the area seemed more cleaned up and safe. I know that I'm super paranoid where ever I go, especially in the "city" (okay, don't laugh...it's not city like New York but it's bigger than my town). I try to park right in front of the building and I pay careful attention to who is around at all times. Apparently they just recently had another "armed" (guy said he had a gun but they didn't actually see one) robbery and several large shop lifters.

So I walk in last night and there's a guy in a uniform standing there watching ... watching. And I admit it made me feel weird and actually LESS safe.

For one thing I think I could've taken the guy down. For another he didn't even have a gun. What good is he going to be against an armed robber? Not much. I think I'm going to recommend to them that they look into an actual armed guard. Hubby works on his off days for a company that employees actual police officers. They get duties guarding private companies and even residences. Hubby has done guard duty (mostly in uniform) at a Starbucks and a liquor store. It's probably more expensive than the unarmed security guard but the impact would pack a bigger punch.

Not only that, a truly uniformed police officer, even without a gun, gives more of a presence of security than a shabbily dressed guy in matching blue pants and shirt with a flash light. Baggy clothes do not say "obey me" in my mind.

Plus the guy kept smiling! HAHAHAHA He seemed like a really nice guy ... but definitely did not make me feel safer.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

My brother and his friends call those guys "flashlight cops". But maybe he's some kind of kung fu ninja expert, and he can disarm and subdue a man with his bare hands. Um...probably not.

Anonymous said...

I always love when they have those really old security guards. I feel so bad for them because I know they would never be able to chase a person down, let alone stop someone if they tried.

Anonymous said...

I've got the same type of guards at my place of work. They're really friendly like you say, but I think I could knock both of them over with dental floss myself. Both are about 5'2 and weigh about 120 lbs. They ALSO don't make me feel very safe!