Friday, June 13, 2008

Maybe This Explains It...

I think my depressing mood this week is caused by a couple of factors.

The first is that I've been eating WAY too much sugar. Seriously. Comatose levels. And I just ate a donut. *sigh* I need to hop back on the sugar-free wagon and do it soon. Another donut is calling my name.

The second is that I've been listening and watching the news a little too much. It is all out depressing!

The relentlessly negative impressions of American life presented by the media, including the entertainment media, explain something otherwise puzzling that shows up in psychological data. When asked about the country's economy, schools, health care or community spirit, Americans tell pollsters the situation is dreadful. But when asked about their own jobs, schools, doctors and communities, people tell pollsters the situation is good. Our impressions of ourselves and our neighbors come from personal experience. Our impressions of the nation as a whole come from the media and from political blather, which both exaggerate the negative.

Life really is NOT all that bad and my pessimistic side needs to go take a holiday and get over it. I live in the best country in the world at one of the best times in history. I truly believe this. Opportunities are limitless. I can literally do anything I want. The company where I work has sustained some major changes this week that were shocking and threw me off - but in reality probably provide great opportunities for growth and change.

I'm starting to feel more inspired and want to sit down at my jewelry table to play and create. I have several pendant ideas.

The sun finally came out yesterday and should be out sometime today - or at least it shouldn't rain. It *almost* felt like summer yesterday afternoon.

Reading this editorial from the Wall Street Journal also made me feel a little better. Yes, things can be rough and everyone has different situations but in general things are not so bad - they could be much, much, much worse and we should be happy for our lives as they are now.

Unemployment is 5.5%, low by historical standards; income is rising slightly ahead of inflation; housing prices are down, but the typical house is still worth a third more than in 2000; 94% of Americans do not have threatened mortgages, and of those who do, most will keep their homes.

Inflation was up in 2007, but this stands out because the 16 previous years were close to inflation-free; living standards are the highest they have ever been, including living standards for the middle class and for the poor.

All forms of pollution other than greenhouse gases are in decline; cancer, heart disease and stroke incidence are declining; crime is in a long-term cycle of significant decline; education levels are at all-time highs

Converted to today's dollars, per-capita income in the Keystone State is 23% higher than in 1990. People may think Pennsylvania was more prosperous in the past, but the state is better off today. The same can be said for most (needless to say, not all) parts of the country and most demographics. Most are, right now, the best-off they have ever been.
And while it may *feel* like things are worse today, even while paying more for gas, my family and everyone in it are better off financially.

It is extremely important for my health that I maintain a positive outlook. Severe depressive downswings can be stimulated and prolonged with too much negativity. It's partially why old friends who were such Negative Nellies are no longer friends. My health couldn't take it.

So today is a new day. No more funk! No hiding in bed under my pillow. Tomorrow we travel down to see grandpa for Father's Day and it will be great. I'm taking Trooper and my Mother in Law (hubby has to work) and we are going to have a grand time.


Think positively and you can achieve anything!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! I'm so glad you've got a sunny outlook now. Making some pretty jewelry pieces is bound to help too. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Irene said...

Hi,

I am glad you are feeling better. I have had similar feelings this week, and into today. Blah. But reading your post has actually perked me up some. I think I'm spending too much time feeling sorry for myself!

Thanks for your encouraging words in your post...and hope you continue feeling better!