Friday, May 23, 2008

Learning a New Skill - Creating a Pendant

I had class on Wednesday night and learned how to properly create a setting for a cabochon. I probably could have figured out how to do it on my own but I learn a lot better if I see something being done while the instructions are spoken and then trying it myself. I don't learn very well by just reading instructions.

All the classes I take are from The Bead Factory. They have the best classes and instructors. I've been taking classes from them for more than three years now. This year I've already taken three classes and have two more scheduled, not including two classes scheduled at the big Puget Sound Bead Festival.

I love to learn new skills and improve old ones. Sometimes I discover that I am no good at a particular task - like resin. I even burned myself during that class.

But Wednesday night I was in heaven. I got to play with the Big Girl Torch, saw metal, and set a cab. I'm looking forward to trying this at home by myself.



You can see that I didn't do a perfect job...you can see the seam around the stone. And I wanted more of a lip around the whole stone but I cut too close to the twisted wire and had to file the whole thing down.


I found this neat cotton necklace in the store and bought it because it matched really well. I also decided to antique the pendant after I got home.

My grandpa gave me some stones for my birthday and there's a large turquoise raw slab that I want to set ... if I ever get around to it I'll be sure to share. :)

5 comments:

Jennifer Casady said...

oooooooo!!!!!!!!! Awesome job!!! I'm sooo jealous!! I want to take classes sooo bad! *grin*

Can't wait to see what you make next!!! *grin*

XOXOXOXO - Jen

Over The Top Aprons said...

Your work is lovely; I wish you great success!

Anonymous said...

that stone is gorgeous! i tried to make jewelry once... let's just say i quickly went back to photography.

Bunny B said...

Ooo... Wow! That's lovely :)

Rosanne said...

That stone is so pretty! It's funny because I did NOT see the mistakes you talked about making. I guess it's because I'm not an expert. I just looked at it and saw something really pretty. Good job!