Wednesday, May 14, 2008

National Peace Officers' Memorial Day - May 15

Did you know that this week is National Police Week?

Our law enforcement officers risk their lives every day to protect us. They sacrifice time with family due to weird schedules and unexpected overtime.

Please take time this week to thank an officer. Or write a letter of thanks to your local police department. Trust me when I tell you that it will be extremely appreciated and probably posted on their bulletin board. :) I've read some incredible thank you letters in the State Patrol newsletter that goes out. It really does make a difference - such a small thing.


My hubby worked his tail off to become an officer. I was so proud to attend his graduation ceremony so many years ago. He endures the shift changes (which are SO incredibly hard on his body), the mandatory overtime (he can't predict when a crash will occur or that he'll catch a drunk driver 5 minutes before his shift ends), working holidays (I can only remember two Christmases that he's had off in 8 years), and unexpected call outs (he's on the riot team). Not to mention when he has to work a fatality - I can't imagine the psychological pressure that creates. I just try to help in any way I can.

He loves his job. And I love him.

Cops are not perfect. They are human beings with all the flaws and faults. They have bad days just like everyone else. We hear about crooked cops on the news all the time but in reality those bad seeds are in the minority. The majority of officers are good people who work hard - for you and for me.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

I would like to thank your husband for doing a difficult job, and for helping keep us all safe.