Friday, March 7, 2008

Dry Skin - Sensitive Face

It has been really cold here lately - and apparently dry.

Normally I can wash my face with my super strong "Purpose" face wash soap. It's very drying but my skin is usually so oily that I don't even need to put lotion on after washing. By the morning my face is typically not dried out.

But recently my forehead has been flaking! It's so gross. My poor husband - he'll look at my forehead and grimace. (*thanks hon*) I put lots of lotion on my forehead but it doesn't seem to help. *sigh* I've tried several different kinds of lotions and I think the Neutrogena is working the best out of all of them.

I hate trying out new face stuff. I always worry it will make me break out or give me some sort of rash because I have SUPER sensitive skin.

When I was in high school I started taking Accutane for severe acne. And this stuff is NO joke. I don't even know if they put people on it anymore because of all the horrible side effects. I was only 12 or 13 and I was required, REQUIRED to take a pregnancy test every single month and if it turned out that I was pregnant (it would have been a miraculous conception by the way) I would be forced to get an abortion. And yes, I do mean forced because the deformities of any child affected by this drug are hideous - we're talking Alien baby with no brain. It's that intense.

But my face was SO bad (not to mention my back) that I was willing to do just about anything. I even had liquid Nitrogen sprayed on my face by the Dermatologist. Do they still do that? It's pretty icky too.

So the effects include cracked, dry lips that were red and painful and my face would turn red and looked like it had a rash. But you know what? It worked. My acne got better. I still have acne - you'd think that nearing 30 would mean not having to deal with that but no such luck for me.

Needless to say, I have very sensitive skin. I don't wear foundation or powder or blush - nothing that goes on my skin. I will wear lipstick and eye shadow and liner but that's about it. Everything else makes me break out - even the most hypoallergenic (which I now hear is just a marketing term) stuff for sensitive skin. It's a real pain.

And that is why I hate buying and trying new face stuff - because I just never know how it is going to affect me. *sigh* I love winter but I'm really looking forward to spring so that my normally oily skin comes back because I prefer that to this flaky dry skin. Blech!

No comments: