Monday, March 3, 2008

It's Still Stealing!

Oh my gosh...I have a pet peeve.

When you go to the grocery store please do NOT eat or drink something before you pay for it!!! It drives me bonkers.

Some lady this evening in line after us at the checkout counter popped open a pack of gum that she had NOT paid for yet. I hope she heard me being obnoxious and telling the cashier how much I hate it when people eat things they haven't paid for yet and how it's STEALING.

For goodness sake. I see kids walking around the store drinking chocolate milk that hasn't been paid for and then paying for it at the register...sometimes. I've seen abandoned milk and juice containers around the store before. You know they didn't pay for it.

My mom would not even let me sample grapes or food out of the bulk bin. She taught us that it was stealing. If you have not yet paid for something and use it ... IT'S STEALING!

Arg! What is wrong with people?

5 comments:

Paws Awhile said...

I agree with you. It is stealing, and it is surprising how people don't stop to think twice before doing it. Sure, some of them pay for it before leaving, but there are always the ones who don't. Parents should actively discourage their kids from indulging in this kind of behavior.

Beth Anderson said...

I agree 100%! I have never done or ever let my kids do it. It is stealing. My brother works in a grocery store and he has told me all sorts of stories. It's not an open buffet!

Pretty Things said...

I taught my son this at a very young age. He's barely five and he KNOWS this now, and even says, when he chooses something, "I can't open this until I pay for it".

Cindy Smith, Editor, Education for the Driving Masses said...

Ok, just because I'm a shit disturber ... I have a new dishwasher that I haven't put a dime on yet but I am using it. Is deferred financing stealing? I brought it home, hooked it up and I haven't paid a nickel towards it yet.
The way I've looked at your peeve is ... you're in the store, your intentions are good and you're being honest about it if you pay for it. I have done this with bottles of water because I can't wait and my asthma is so bad. I've also fed my kid granola bars from the box to shut her up so I can just shop a little bit in peace (couldn't leave her at home). Good post, tho. I never thought about what other people think.

CastoCreations said...

ROFL giga you crack me up!!!

Of course deferred financing isn't stealing ... it's done with the company's permission. Just like taking samples isn't stealing. They are offered.

But if you open water and drink it before paying it IS technically stealing. Good intentions don't really matter. And if I saw you do it I'd grouch to my hubby about it. Even though ya know I luv ya!!! :) And if I saw you give her a granola bar I'd go nuts.

I understand WHY parents do it ... but I still think it is just wrong. =D